|By PR Newswire||
|January 18, 2012 10:00 AM EST||
BURLINGTON, Mass., Jan. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Two open source cloud platform-as-a-service (PaaS) projects, two projects tailored to the needs of game developers, and a toolkit to aid social media application developers in the creation of web apps are stand-outs in the Black Duck Software 2011 Open Source Rookie of the Year list, announced today. The fourth annual Open Source Rookies of the Year program recognizes the top new open source projects initiated in 2011.
Using data on open source projects from Ohloh.net and the Black Duck® KnowledgeBase™, Black Duck reviewed thousands of open source projects started in 2011 to select the Open Source Rookies of the Year. Using a weighted scoring system, points were awarded based on commit activity (commits per day), size of the project team and the number of in-bound links to the project. Black Duck determined the top 10 projects following an audit of its findings and normalization of scores.
Highlights of this year's analysis include:
- Nine of the top 10 and 56 percent of the top 50 projects are now on GitHub. In 2010, just four of the top 10 and 32 percent of the top 50 projects were on GitHub, a major shift in just one year. In the balance of the top 50 projects, GoogleCode was the repository for 10 percent, followed by SourceForge at four percent.
- Three of the top 10 new projects in 2011 use the Apache License, Version 2.0, and one each chose the GPLv2, GNU AGPLv3, SpringSource License, Eclipse Public License, Mozilla Public License Version 1.1, WTFPL, and the Common Public Attribution License.
The Black Duck 2011 Open Source Rookies of the Year include:
- Bootstrap is a toolkit from Twitter designed to kickstart development of web applications and sites. It includes base CSS and HTML for typography, forms, buttons, tables, grids, navigation and more.
- BrowserID is part of Mozilla's exploration into an identity system that puts users in control, independent of any particular service provider. BrowserID is a secure, decentralized, open source, cross-browser way to sign onto websites using your email address. With BrowserID, users select from their various email addresses, giving them a consistent experience across all of their personas. BrowserID helps users keep their online experience secure and private through the browser by limiting the flow of information to what is strictly necessary to let users log in.
- Canvas is the only commercial open source learning management system and the only LMS native to the cloud. The Canvas LMS source code is primarily developed at Instructure, but is supported by a global community of developers that share Instructure's vision. Canvas leverages other modern technologies like HTML5, jQuery, OAuth, and numerous external service integrations. All of these high-performing best-of-the-web solutions, through Canvas, help educators and learners collaborate more effectively.
- Cloud Foundry is an open Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) providing a choice of clouds, developer frameworks and application services. Initiated by VMware with broad industry support, Cloud Foundry makes it faster and easier to build, test, deploy and scale applications. It is an open source project and is available through a variety of private cloud distributions and public cloud instances
- Moai, billed as the mobile platform for pro game developers, differentiates itself through its cloud-based game services and rapid development of iOS, Android, and Chrome titles, all built in the industry standard Lua scripting language. Moai developers appreciate the ability to write both client and server-side game logic without context switching or cross-team projects, as well as the open-source nature of the Moai SDK that ensures they can build titles without compromises. Previously announced game companies using Moai include Bungie Aerospace, Harebrained Schemes, DistinctDev, Go Go Kiddo and Nay Games.
- Mooege is an open source and freely available educational game server emulator written in C#.
- OpenShift is Red Hat's free, auto-scaling Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) built on open source technologies that enable developers to quickly deploy applications to the cloud. OpenShift supports many popular languages, frameworks and middleware components.
- Orion is a browser-based open tool integration platform built by the Eclipse platform team and focused on moving software development to the web as a web experience. Orion addresses the core coding activities (code editing, project navigation, search, and working with your source control system) and provides extensibility mechanisms to allow application level linking with other web-based tools.
- rstat.us - Microblogging has taken the world by storm, and rstat.us is the newest place to participate in the collective conscious of the planet. There are two things that make rstat.us special: simplicity and openness. Our interface is clean and easy to understand. We give you just enough features to be interesting, but not enough to be complicated and confusing. The programming code that makes up rstat.us is available for anyone to download, free of charge. Programmers can use that code to run their own websites just like rstat.us, and you can subscribe to your friends on any site that supports the OStatus protocol, like identi.ca. This also means that you can own your data: we'll never stop you from having full access to everything you've put into rstat.us.
- Salt is an open source configuration management and remote execution application. Salt is written with the intent of making central system management and configuration as simple, yet as flexible as possible. Salt is the core application of the saltstack project.
"The data underlying the 2011 Open Source Rookies list is consistent with shifts we see in our day-to-day business, where cloud, mobile and gaming draw great support from involved communities of open source developers," said Tim Yeaton, president and CEO of Black Duck Software, the leading global provider of strategy, products and services for enabling enterprise scale adoption of open source software. "The key observation – that open source is driving innovation across many industries – shows the power of the open source community model and the increasing importance of social development, where developers are supported by social communities connected through social media."
"Another example of the importance of evidence based assessment and decision making," said Stephen O'Grady, Principal Analyst and Co-founder, Redmonk. "The Black Duck Open Source Rookies of the Year program is an intriguing, quantitative measurement of project performance and traction."
In addition to the Open Source Rookies of the Year, Black Duck identified three projects that deserve Honorable Mention due to their outstanding rate of commits and team support. These include:
- Apache Rave, a podling under development in the Apache Incubator, Apache Rave is a new web and social mashup engine. It will provide an out-of-the-box as well as an extendible lightweight Java platform to host, serve and aggregate (Open)Social Gadgets and services through a highly customizable and Web 2.0 friendly front-end. Rave is targeted as an engine for internet and intranet portals and as a building block to provide context-aware personalization and collaboration features for multi-site/multi-channel (mobile) oriented and content driven websites and (social) network oriented services and platforms.
- OpenStack Dashboard, code-name Horizon provides a baseline user interface for managing OpenStack services. It is a reference implementation built using the django-openstack project which contains all of the core functionality needed to develop a site-specific implementation.
- Rudder is a new open source tool in the configuration management domain. Specifically aimed at drift assessment, it addresses automation, ongoing verification and repairs, centralizing information and knowledge about your infrastructure, compliance reporting thus helping to keep drift from nominal behavior low. In a nutshell, clearly separated tasks permit technical experts to create configuration templates for the tools they know best, thus letting non-experts leverage this power via a modern web interface, such as: architects or security officers who implement policy, junior sysadmins who use and reuse such policies to setup services, and pretty much anyone who digs into real-time compliance reports and error logs.
"Recognizing open source projects in their early stages is crucial to fostering the OSS community and encouraging innovation," said Jonathan Bryce, OpenStack Project Policy Board. OpenStack was a 2010 Open Source Rookie of the Year, and new core project OpenStack Dashboard, code-name Horizon, garnered Honorable Mention in 2011. "It is exciting to see OpenStack included in the Black Duck Open Source Rookie of the Year program for the second consecutive year."
For more information about the 2011 Black Duck Open Source Rookies of the Year, visit www.blackducksoftware.com/rookies. For more information about Black Duck Software, visit www.blackducksoftware.com.
About Black Duck Software
Black Duck Software is the leading provider of strategy, products and services for automating the management, governance and secure use of open source software, at enterprise scale, in a multi-source development process. Black Duck enables companies to shorten time-to-solution and reduce development costs while mitigating the management, compliance and security challenges associated with open source software. Black Duck Software powers Koders.com, the industry's leading code search engine for open source, and Ohloh.net, the largest free public directory of open source software and a vibrant web community of free and open source software developers and users. Black Duck is among the 500 largest software companies in the world, according to Softwaremag.com. For more information, visit www.blackducksoftware.com.
SOURCE Black Duck Software
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Apr. 25, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 745
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 25, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 128
New competitors, disruptive technologies, and growing expectations are pushing every business to both adopt and deliver new digital services. This ‘Digital Transformation’ demands rapid delivery and continuous iteration of new competitive services via multiple channels, which in turn demands new service delivery techniques – including DevOps. In this power panel at @DevOpsSummit 20th Cloud Expo, moderated by DevOps Conference Co-Chair Andi Mann, panelists will examine how DevOps helps to meet th...
Apr. 25, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,011
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Apr. 25, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 8,938
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Apr. 25, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 271
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Apr. 25, 2017 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 188
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi, the leading provider the Internet of Things and Digital Transformation, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., offers an integrated portfolio of services and solutions that enable digital transformation through enhanced data management, governance, mobility and analytics. We help globa...
Apr. 25, 2017 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 834
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Apr. 25, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 843
SYS-CON Events announced today that CollabNet, a global leader in enterprise software development, release automation and DevOps solutions, will be a Bronze Sponsor of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, taking place from June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CollabNet offers a broad range of solutions with the mission of helping modern organizations deliver quality software at speed. The company’s latest innovation, the DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM), supports Value S...
Apr. 25, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 248
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in compute, storage and networking technologies, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/...
Apr. 25, 2017 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,012
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Apr. 25, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 5,028
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Analytic. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Apr. 25, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 837
Judith Hurwitz is president and CEO of Hurwitz & Associates, a Needham, Mass., research and consulting firm focused on emerging technology, including big data, cognitive computing and governance. She is co-author of the book Cognitive Computing and Big Data Analytics, published in 2015. Her Cloud Expo session, "What Is the Business Imperative for Cognitive Computing?" is scheduled for Wednesday, June 8, at 8:40 a.m. In it, she puts cognitive computing into perspective with its value to the busin...
Apr. 25, 2017 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,575
Five years ago development was seen as a dead-end career, now it’s anything but – with an explosion in mobile and IoT initiatives increasing the demand for skilled engineers. But apart from having a ready supply of great coders, what constitutes true ‘DevOps Royalty’? It’ll be the ability to craft resilient architectures, supportability, security everywhere across the software lifecycle. In his keynote at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Jeffrey Scheaffer, GM and SVP, Continuous Delivery Busine...
Apr. 25, 2017 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 558
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, discussed how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team at D...
Apr. 25, 2017 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,846
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 25, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 988
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Apr. 25, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 9,076
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Apr. 25, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,341
Grape Up is a software company, specialized in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the USA and Europe, we work with a variety of customers from emerging startups to Fortune 1000 companies.
Apr. 24, 2017 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,205
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Apr. 24, 2017 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,295