|By Elizabeth White||
|November 27, 2012 10:48 AM EST||
In the wake of superstorm Sandy, and with the potential for disruptive winter storms in the coming months, Cbeyond Inc. on Tuesday released its top five disaster prevention strategies IT teams can implement now to ensure business continuity.
With the threat of natural disasters such as storms and floods as well as man-made hazards such as fires, power outages and theft constantly looming, businesses need to prepare for incidents that could potentially inhibit their ability to operate. In the worst case scenarios, these events can force businesses to close permanently. The end of the year is the ideal time for small and mid-sized businesses to evaluate and refine their current disaster recovery plans or, if such plans do not already exist, build a first-time strategy.
To maintain continuous communications and secure work capacity in the event of natural and man-made threats, Cbeyond recommends the following five best practices:
- Plan now: Consider what technological and logistical steps are needed to ensure your mission-critical data and applications will be protected and establish a plan to communicate with your team and important stakeholders. Testing and reviewing your plans quarterly will identify gaps to fix.
- Back-up your data off-site: Ensure your business has a secure backup solution in place to allow data to be stored off-site. In the event of a disaster affecting the home office, critical business information can still be recovered.
- Consider deploying applications in the cloud: Many businesses still maintain their most important infrastructure (such as servers for business-critical applications) at their own premises. In many cases, it is possible to run applications in the "cloud" instead. Cloud facilities, typically located in hardened infrastructure and remote locations, are more disaster-resistant than typical office locations.
- Evaluate redundant network connectivity options: In the event of a disaster, network connectivity from the office may become unavailable. Today, it is possible to have a wireless back-up system to increase the chances of maintaining connectivity.
- Reroute communications as necessary: While the advancements in smart phone and tablet technology have made workers more "disaster-ready," businesses should still verify that all employees have access to e-mail via mobile and web sources, and that desk phones can be forwarded to personal cell or home numbers to ensure contact with customers and partners.
Jan. 19, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 6,085
Jan. 19, 2017 12:45 AM EST Reads: 4,622
Jan. 18, 2017 09:45 PM EST Reads: 6,510
Jan. 18, 2017 09:30 PM EST Reads: 7,623
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it m...
Jan. 18, 2017 09:30 PM EST Reads: 5,740
Jan. 18, 2017 07:30 PM EST Reads: 3,146
Jan. 18, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 4,195
Jan. 18, 2017 05:30 PM EST Reads: 4,885
Jan. 18, 2017 04:45 PM EST Reads: 4,595
Jan. 18, 2017 04:30 PM EST Reads: 4,800
Jan. 18, 2017 03:30 PM EST Reads: 3,686
"LinearHub provides smart video conferencing, which is the Roundee service, and we archive all the video conferences and we also provide the transcript," stated Sunghyuk Kim, CEO of LinearHub, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 18, 2017 02:45 PM EST Reads: 1,597
Things are changing so quickly in IoT that it would take a wizard to predict which ecosystem will gain the most traction. In order for IoT to reach its potential, smart devices must be able to work together. Today, there are a slew of interoperability standards being promoted by big names to make this happen: HomeKit, Brillo and Alljoyn. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Adam Justice, vice president and general manager of Grid Connect, will review what happens when smart devices don’t work togethe...
Jan. 18, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 420
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 18, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 5,616
Jan. 18, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 5,105
Discover top technologies and tools all under one roof at April 24–28, 2017, at the Westin San Diego in San Diego, CA. Explore the Mobile Dev + Test and IoT Dev + Test Expo and enjoy all of these unique opportunities: The latest solutions, technologies, and tools in mobile or IoT software development and testing. Meet one-on-one with representatives from some of today's most innovative organizations
Jan. 18, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 1,552
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 18, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 4,235
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and E...
Jan. 18, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 5,768
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Jan. 18, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,962
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Jan. 18, 2017 10:30 AM EST Reads: 3,119